Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Whiskers On Wednesday (and some Knitting!)

No Kitties. Just ONE of the things that's left in their wake. Just about every morning. What do those cats do all night?

Some knitting has been done recently:

Pattern: Petunia Socks By Jeanne Cotter (My blog buddy)
Yarn: Joann's Sensations Bamboo & Ewe
Mods: All I changed was to use size 1 needles and add stitches to compensate.
This pattern looks great in a hand-dyed yarn like she used, I've slowly swayed to more striped or solids over time but I think they came out nice. Comfy yarn as well, has a decent softness to it.


Pattern: My Plain socks. 64 st cast on.
Yarn: Paton's Kroy Jacquards in Fern Rose colorway.
Size 1 needles
These are the socks that gave me a major reality check. I was so excited to be on a roll with socks once again that I over-did it trying to get these done. I think the combo of very small needles, being out of practice for a few months, and wanting to keep going, gave me Repetitive Stress Injury. My doctor thinks there's some slight carpal tunnel in the mix as well. All I can say (besides a few bad words) is OWWW!

You just can't ignore pain. If it hurts in the slightest - STOP!!!! My thumb/hand/wrist hurt so bad, I can't say how panicked I was thinking of all the yarn in my closet. I can NOT knit when I want to, but to HAVE TO stop, geez, that's TOUGH! I took a week off (staring longingly at my knitting), and now have to take frequent breaks.  I HOPE I've learned my lesson. I never thought my hands would quit on me. Never. Don't take things for granted, take care of yourself.

Note: This yarn is tough as iron too, that may have been part of the problem. It's also slightly itchy but will probably wear forever. Not a favorite of mine needless to say.



Pattern: My Basic Socks. 64 st cast on.
Yarn: Knit One Crochet too Ty Dy Socks
Colorway: 1713
Size 1 needles.
These are for my Mom's Birthday coming up soon. This yarn was a tad splitty when casting on, but after that it was fine for the most part. And soft?? VERY! I got these done with LOTS of breaks and little pain so I see another pair working it's way to my needles very soon. I've got the "sock-bug" once again.

My picture taking/editing abilities need major work as well. Happy Knitting! And Happy WOW!

7 comments:

Anna said...

You make me miss knitting socks! I'll be starting to knit soon, since my daughter is begging me to knit her a penguin. ;)

Hope things are going well for you; it's been too long since our last chat!

Dawn said...

I haven't knitted socks in soooo long! Hope you start feeling better! Your socks look fabulous!

bobbi said...

I too have RSI and said the same thing as u did, oh no all that yarn that I won't be able to knit.
I use size 2 cause of it and end up with very large and wide socks cause I forget to adjust.

Prairie Rose said...

I want to learn to knit socks so badly.
But, they scare me to death!
So,does trying to learn to knit on Double Pointed Needles.
I mean,seriously, knitting with 4 needles.
My Beginner-Knitting-Self Taught hands start to tremble at the thought!
But, I do so badly want to knit socks...
My kitties do the same thing!
We awake in the morning to find rugs thrown about, cupboards and drawers wide open and plants pulled out by the roots.
They,of course,either cant be found or are innocently snoozing on the sofa.

NatRed2 said...

Girl!!! You have been on a sock kick!!! Youre Petunias turned out great!! Thank you sooo much for test knitting them for me!
I sympathise with your pain! My CP has been giving me fits lately and put me on the slow boat with knitting.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

LOL about the rug! I'd love to see what the cats are doing while we're sleeping :) All of your socks look great!! I hope you're feeling better and are able to keep the pain away!

Bubblesknits said...

Looks like the Great Kitteh Race of 2010 is going on in your house as well. It goes on here most every night. lol