Sunday, March 29, 2009

Little Knits

I think I finally got some of my "sock mojo" back because I've begun to have more than one pair going at a time again, AND feel the need to stuff one in my purse on the way out the door. For awhile there I didn't want to even SEE a sock for some reason! Fiber Angst Craziness I tell you.

I began to explore some different yarns I have in my stash so I started a pair for my Mom in Berroco Comfort Sock yarn.
(Colorway: Southland - 1813)
Size 0 Needles
64 St cast on
Review: Very Splitty, but also very soft. Not sure I'd use it for socks again, maybe a scarf. I also had one knot with a messed up color join right in the middle of one sock. Bummer, but it happens.

I'm experimenting with other needles I've heard so much about too. Above are my Kollage Square Needles. My first impression of them was that they felt strange to my fingers (I totally feel each corner), but they really aren't much different to knit with. Like anything else, they just take getting used to. I personally seemed to knit slower with them though, so I'm not sure how often I'll use them. I also had remembered the advice about them backwards: buy UP a size, not BELOW the size you normally would use. Oh well, they worked anyway (because for socks I'm not a gauge checker. Oh heck, I'm usually NEVER a gauge checker!)

I also tried my Hiya Hiya metal circ on this pair of socks (magic loop).

I felt "drag" on both brands, but I'm already partial to the smoothness of Knitpicks DPN's and Circs so I'm probably more sensitive to it. I also had constant "snagging" on my Size 0 HH Circ while working the socks up. The join doesn't look much different from Knitpicks, but boy, it was very evident while pulling up the yarn (major PITA). I finally just switched back to my KP Circ. It could've been the yarn I guess, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try them again one day.

I also had to stick the Hiya's in hot water to try to relax the cable (which I never have to do with my KP's). It was still very curly but once your sock is in progress it's under some control. Another thing is the tips, both brands aren't as sharp as KP's but if you like that, these are pretty decently in between too sharp or too blunt.

All in all, I'm okay with both brands, (I still want to try a Kollage circular one day in a larger size) but I'll probably still use my KP's first and foremost.

I also gave my 9" Hiya Hiya for socks a test run too but my hands began to cramp really bad so I'll have to retest them again one day. I'm not sure that method will work for me with my pain issues but it would be awesome since I do most of my socks simple stockinette stitch. To not have to do any shifting with needles at all would probably make the socks fly off the needles.


The Big Guy got another hat:


Pattern: Hat Fit For a Boyfriend (or Hubby in this case).
Yarn: Queensland Kathmandu Aran
Size 7 needle

Oooooooh. SOFT. He loves it. Of course it fits his head snugger, he's got a big noggin.

I also got some more Preemie Hats done:


Yarn: Bernat Baby Jacquards in various colorways.
Pattern: Preemie Hats For Charity
Size 3 needle Magic Loop

I can't say enough about how much I love making these. I think my next bunch will be mostly ribbed since ribbed hats can easily fit more head sizes. I totally need small projects. I believe I'm probably the most impatient person ever and these are done in a such a jiffy. They're pretty portable as well.

Perfect for my sanity.
Happy Knitting!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow..lots of knitting! Who doesn't sleep?:) You're getting way more than me done!

Dawn said...

LOL! Mine are all SMALL projects! That's about all I want to handle much these days! :)

Anna said...

Love the preemie hats! Those are some pretty colors.

NatRed2 said...

There is nothing wrong with instant gratification knitting!! I am all for it! I am glad to see one of got their knitting mojo back! I am still working on finding mine ;)

You have been a busy girl while I have been stuck at that evil place that holds my pay check.

Lucy said...

Thank you for putting up with my blog lapses!! I would also like to thank you for your kind words in relation to our Hereward. He is at rest now next to his beloved sister!! I have lots of new photos of the rest of our fur family so will be (fingers-crossed lol!) writing more posts this year !!I love all your preemie hats and your sock-knitting is superb!!