Sunday, May 3, 2009

Was he testing me?

I had my Sleep Clinic consult last Friday morning. It's kind of funny that I only got a few hours sleep before I got there, but maybe that's why the whole appointment was so weird to me.

Here's how it started:

Dr: Hi, my name is Dr. A, nice to meet you. (Doesn't even look at me while he's saying all this).

Me: Hi.

Dr proceeds to ask me questions:
When do you go to bed?
what time do you get up?
do you have a hard time falling asleep?
what meds are you on?
what are your health issues?

(all of this and PLENTY more is on the 3 pages of info they had me fill out which he's basically reading while he's asking me the same questions).

Dr: So. What are you doing here? (did he just watch "Valley Girl" last night because he sure sounds like he did!)

Me: Huh? Well, my regular Dr made me come, AND Gee, I CAN'T SLEEP! (You'd understand my attitude if you heard how he was talking to me AND looking at me. Was my extra eyeball showing or something?) I then went on to explain my pain issues, that I NEED sleep but don't get much, also that I've tried different sleep meds and they don't work, etc. (again, ALL of this is on the paperwork he's reading while I'm talking).

Dr. So what do you expect me to do if you've had this going on for so long?

Me: (thinking......) Is he TESTING me to see if I'm awake because this seems like I should be on Candid Camera! Why is he being such an A$$? I mean, isn't HE the Fricken Doctor here? Doesn't he see people who can't sleep Every. Single. Day?

It started out this way (which totally weirded me out) but did manage to get better as it went on because I gave what I got once the shock sort of wore off (talk to the HAND buddy!). I was almost ready to walk out in the beginning but eventually he worked out that I'm probably NOT a good candidate for a sleep study (Him: I can tell you right now what your study will show, that you don't sleep!) and that maybe I can benefit from some Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy.

He flat out told me he didn't have a clue HOW to help me but did feel that my stress level is still pretty high (really Sherlock?) and I have to work hard to follow the bedtime hygiene rules. (Nothing but whoopie and sleep in your bed!). I admited I was guilty of doing everything else in my comfy bed too: reading, knitting, and using my laptop. My Bad. Gotta work on those, we're going to get me a nice comfy chair/recliner to put in the master bedroom to help me with that but the TV pretty much stays since I have no say in any other room about what I want to watch most of the time.

I paid to hear all that. Isn't that funny?

In the end he was peachy-keen nice to me. I think somehow I passed his silly test. He even said as much now that I remember. I never have to see him again. (Relief). I'm too tired to deal with people like that. What I deduced was he isn't much use if you don't snore and need one of those machines at night. Insomnia? Well, whatever. It's certainly not HIS problem. Deal Already! Geez!

Today was a busy day with my girls. I really think they're trying to test me too. Here's what's transpired the past couple of weeks.

Set the Scene: Us at the Mall a week or so ago

Me: Hey, since we're here, you guys should check out the shorts and capri's.

The Girls: Grumble Grumble...let's just go home.

Me: But it's getting warmer guys, you should look around while I do what I have to do.

The Girls: (taking a quick glance around) Nope, don't see anything!

The Next Scene: A few days later my youngest says to me: MOM! I NEED NEW CLOTHES!

Me: Sure you do.

And the Next Scene: A few days after that, my oldest says to me: MOM!!! I REALLY NEED NEW CLOTHES!!!

Me: (Can't write what I said.... Potty mouth and all...)


It could just be my sleep deprived mind, but I think something's whacked out in my own little universe lately!

I was really tired today AFTER SHOPPING FOR NEW CLOTHES, but I came home and got into the STASH to update my Ravelry page. I honestly just ignore it most of the time, when I buy new stuff I never put it in there (lazy). But it was a good time to finally buckle down and do it because for some reason my memory was working pretty well at the time, AND because at my next Knitting Meeting we're doing a yarn swap and I know I have things to add to the table. It'll feel good to let things go to knitters who can visualize a use when I can't. I'm going to try to be good and not bring anything home......

All yarn deserves some Love.
That's next weekend, it should be fun.
If I survive that long.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Ug, I hate when doctors act like that! Hope you can get some much needed sleep soon! We got a beautiful card in the mail...thank you so much, it meant a lot! hugs

Ariel said...

Hope your new recliner is comfy and takes care of your sleep issues!!

You really should get those kids some new clothes....... LOL

Anna said...

What an awful doctor! Hope you sleep well soon. ((HUGS))

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

NatRed2 said...

OMG ( Cosmo says that is so last year BTW) I amposted peed myself when I read this post!! I don't have a lot of faith in most doctors these days.

And the girls....how funny! Of Course they never want to shop when mom wants to!